Saturday, May 31, 2014

My Dramas: PPIF #7

Despite the reviews I still have looming over my head (and, of course, end-of-the-year homework assignments, which are always fun), a chunk of my time continues to be dominated by Asian people. One of my friends - a fellow anime enthusiast, ironically - started telling me to "get off the Asian train" the other day, but that's not happening anytime soon.

Speaking of anime, from now until the end of my school year (and maybe until the end of exams), I am going to be focusing on expanding my anime repertoire. After all, as next year's Anime Club president, I should be a good senpai and get my anime on. I will be marathoning anime and getting through two drama club dramas, as well as one currently-airing drama, before beginning my 2014-Drama Marathon.

But before we get to that month-long marathon, let's document my viewing history over the past eight weeks.


Recently Finished (Past):

-You're Beautiful (2009)
I began viewing this purely out of the desire to view a random Korean drama on Netflix. Sorry, My Girlfriend is a Gumiho, but I chose this slightly older Kdrama staple for some reason. (*sniffle* Now My Girlfriend is a Gumiho is going to be removed from Netflix tomorrow...Oh, well, I'll find somewhere else to watch it.)

-Medical Top Team (2013)
Besides the five or six episodes I skipped entirely over in my stubborn wish to finish this three months after putting it on hold, I finished Medical Top Team on a bus on the way back from a softball trip I went on over April break. I started this because of Joo Ji Hoon; I finished because I'm still not at the stage where I can drop a drama.

-Nodame Cantabile (2006)
I'd say this drama was fine. I enjoyed the music. I enjoyed watching it for Operation: Kdrama Chat, despite never getting a chance to discuss anything with my unnis...due to me watching the last seven episodes two-and-a-half weeks after my unnis completed the last one...

-Secret Love Affair (2014)
My second experience as a member of a Drama Club on DramaFever was...interesting. This drama is intriguing, and so are its actors, but what was interesting was how bad I was as a member, to be honest...I really hate it when my sleep schedule changes without my consent. And then remains an inconvenience for two months, making me an inconvenience to everyone else...Okay, I'm talking about dramas, not my personal failures - moving on!

-Empress Ki (2013, but 2014)
This ended a lot earlier than I thought it was going to when I started it. Now, this nearly amazing drama is over. But my love for Ji Chang Wook is not.

Currently Watching (Present):

-Smile, Dong Hae (2010)
I lied when I said I was going to complete two daily dramas by the end of the school year. I'm still not sure when I'm going to complete either of them, especially Smile, Dong Hae.

-Melody of Love (2013, but 2014)
Since this is mostly a 2014 drama, Melody of Love originally was on the list of 2014 dramas to marathon in a few weeks (thank you, Kim Hyung Jun). However, it's so long that it would dominate way too much of the Month of 2014 Dramas. To be honest, I doubt I'll finish either this or Smile, Dong Hae until much later this year. The struggle of daily dramas is real.

-Nice Guy (2012)
Five or six months after viewing the first episode with my friend, Jang Yi, I finally got around to continuing Nice Guy. My vote for this drama in Operation: Kdrama Chat has gone to good use. We are watching and discussing this drama (and Song Joong Ki's face) until the end of June. :)

-Emergency Couple (2014)
I was in the mood for a new drama to watch a few weeks ago. So, in order to thin my 2014-Drama-Marathon list a bit, I asked my mother to pick a number (as I have a numbered list on a Microsoft Word document). She picked 6, which (fortunately, to my surprise) happened to be Emergency Couple. After my little anime excursion, I will complete this as part of the month-long drama marathon. :)

-Doctor Stranger (2014)
Why, hello there, Lee Jong Suk. Socky Tree Monkey here and his sass, plus the presence of Jin Se Yeon, are my motivations for starting Doctor Stranger before the end of the school year. That gosh-freaking Socky Tree Monkey and his gosh-freaking sass make me want to cry. O~O

Up Next (Immediate Future):

-Anime.
As much as I can attempt to fit in before the end of...let's go with the end of exams. (Because the last day of school and the day of my last exam are two different things. I'll probably have my anime marathon and my 2014-Drama Marathon intertwine between these two days...) You can click on the link to my anime list (on MyAnimeList.net) on the side. 

-Hotel King (2014)
My friend, Jang Yi, introduced me to her senpai a month ago via KakaoTalk. I've referred to Operation: Kdrama Chat a couple of times, so Jang Yi's senpai brought up the possibility of discussing a drama between the three of us. This is the drama we've chosen. (Fun fact: she also proposed a mini-anime club, comprised of the three of us, to discuss the anime Free! - Iwatobi Swim Club.)

-2014-Drama Marathon
...Or Dramas-of-2014 Marathon, whichever sounds more poetic. This is my opportunity to hone my viewing craft. One month, fifteen dramas (ignoring the dramas that haven't begun airing yet...for now). I've completed five dramas that have aired this year. I'm watching two (soon to be three, thanks to Jang Yi's senpai). I'm expecting to be a marathon master by late July.

In a separate post, I will brief the dramas that are a part of this list...When I do, anyone can feel free to suggest other dramas (including dramas from China and Japan) for me to add! :) Also, I will get to the reviews that are listed in the sidebar...when I'm not fangirling, completing projects, and being at least somewhat of a contribution to the society awaiting outside my bedroom. I'm such a bad Kdrama blogger, I know...

-Pamela


No comments:

Post a Comment