Friday, November 1, 2013

Friday the First: Playful Kiss

Like Boys Over Flowers, I suspect that this was probably quite a few people's first dramas as well...


Personally, this was my second Kdrama, and I think it should be obvious from the poster why that may be... Do you need a hint?


Hello, Gangaji Sunbae (my personal nickname for him). Nice job, sporting the Kim Hyung Jun perm for the second half of the series, Kim Hyun Joong.

Yes, he was my reason for watching Playful Kiss, but he may not have been if this was one's first drama. He especially will not be someone's reason for watching this Kdrama if that someone is currently not a fan of Korean programming in the first place.

So, if you have a friend, and you're not sure what Kdrama to choose in order to force threaten blackmail coerce introduce said friend into the fandom, you've (hopefully) come to the right place. Here at Hallyu Fangirl, this fangirl will now list reasons that may convince your significant non-Kdrama-lover to try Playful Kiss in the next installment of...

DUN DUN DUUUUUUUUN...

"Friday the First!"

Disclaimer: Pamela is not responsible for any arguments, addictions, loss of social lives, increased understanding, or ridicule that may result from this post.

Now, let me say this: Playful Kiss was not my first drama, but it was what made me stick around after watching Boys Over Flowers. I'm not sure how or why anyone else came to make the decision to start their Kdrama obsession through this drama, but I think I've done well at finding some of the appeals and logic behind making this drama the first choice for the first drama.

1) Stone-faced attractiveness.


Is Kim Hyun Joong that great of an actor? Well, actually, I'm not sure, because he hasn't been in a drama since 2010. (Yay, he might be premiering in a new one in January!) But Mr. 4D didn't have that many acting chops here, nor did he in Boys Over Flowers. (Take your pick: exhausted, sweet, and eternally heartbroken Yoon Ji Hoo? Or slightly less wooden, condescending, and privileged Baek Seung Jo?)

However...Baek Seung Jo can glare at me all he wants, because he's not real, he's attractive, and due to his fiction-ality, I can ignore the fact that if he were in any of my classes, I would hate his guts. And he would hate mine. It's unbeknownst to me how many people will actually think of him as good-looking, but he's still pleasant to look at... :)

What can I say? He was the visual of his boy-band; it's his job to look good.

2) It introduces you to the "cute, idiotic, female doormat" cliche.


Jung So Min is also pleasant to watch; not just because she's pretty, but because she also does a decent job acting like an adorable ditz. Sure, you may yell at your computer screen when Oh Ha Ni's passive airhead shines through, but then pity, cuteness, and cries of "Fighting!" bring you right back over to her side.

3) It features one of the most supportive Kdrama mothers ever.


Not to mention one of the sweetest, cutest Kdrama mothers I've seen so far. And she's not even the mother of the female lead! She genuinely wants Oh Ha Ni to be with Baek Seung Jo. Her antics are just funny to watch...

4) Some of our own insecurities can be found in the characters, and make the world a bit more relatable.

Oh Ha Ni is one of the dumbest students at her school. I doubt many, if any, of us are geniuses; there are times we feel like absolute morons.

Her friend, Jung Joo Ri, is teased a bit throughout the series for her weight. The character seems fairly comfortable with herself, but can we all be comfortable in our own skins? I know I can't.

Bong Joong Gu chases after Oh Ha Ni for almost the entire series, but loses out on his first love.
Not to mention that cowlick; even a hat can't fix our less-than-ideal hair, am I right?

Kim Gi Tae is only in the series for two-ish episodes.
We want to be remembered, but sometimes, those we long to have acknowledgement from will forget us entirely.


Most of us just want someone to love us for who we are.

After all, if connections can be fostered with the characters, won't it be easier to become enveloped in the world of Kdramas and forget for a moment that everything being said is in some unknown language that's only reached a newbie's ear because of PSY?

5) There are better dramas out there, honestly, but this is a cute little way to start off.


I think I've gotten the cuteness point across by now...


Nope, one more. :)



Disclaimer: Pamela is not responsible for any arguments, addictions, loss of social lives, increased understanding, or ridicule that may result from this post.

-Pamela

No comments:

Post a Comment